Term: 2nd Term
Class: Senior Secondary School 1
Age: 15 years
Duration: 40 minutes of 2 periods each
Subject: Civic Education
Topic:- Arms of Government - Types and functions
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES: At the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to
- List and explain the arms of government
- Describe the functions of the three arms of government
INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNIQUES: Identification, explanation, questions and answers, demonstration, videos from source
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS: Videos, loud speaker, textbook, pictures
The teacher reviews the previous lesson on constitution
Students pay attention
She lists and explains the three arms of government
Students pay attention and participates
She further discusses the functions of each arm of government
Students pay attention and participate
The teacher writes a summarized note on the board
The students copy the note in their books
ARMS OF GOVERNMENT
This is the organ or arm of government that is assigned the function of law making. The legislature is given different names in different countries like National or State Assembly in Nigeria, Parliament as in Britain, Congress as in United States etc.
Functions of the Legislature
- Law Making
- Amendment of the Constitution
- Approval of Appointments made by president or prime minister of a country.
- The legislature has the power of impeaching the president of a country when acting outside the constitution
- The legislature has the power of setting up panels to investigate the activities of any department of the government.
- The legislature checks and approves the national budget prepared by the executives.
- The legislature has the power to check and control the activities of the executive.
- It ratifies all treaties made by the executive and also declares war and state of emergency.
This is the organ of government responsible for the implementation, execution or enforcement of laws and policies made by the legislative arm of the government. The executive sees to it that laws made in a country are obeyed.
- It is the executive arm that executes or implements the laws made in the legislature by making sure that they are obeyed.
- The head of the executive arm signs or gives assent to bills before they can become laws.
- The head of the executive performs crucial military functions as the commander-in-chief of the armed forces.
- It is the executive that performs the main function of the government which is provision of welfare services to the citizens.
- The executive maintains external relations, signs treaties etc with other countries especially friendly ones.
- It is the executive that prepares the total proposed financial expenditure and revenue of the government in every new financial year.
- The executive appoints the Chief Justice of the federation and other high ranking officials of the judiciary.
- The executive through the powers granted to it by the constitution, he performs crucial judicial function of pardoning convicted offenders in a country.
This is the third organ of government that is responsible for interpretation and application of the laws when they are broken or violated. It is made up of Judges and the courts of law
Functions of the Judiciary
- This is the major function of the judiciary as it interprets the laws made by the legislature and that of the constitution.
- It settles disputes between aggrieved parties, individuals, corporate bodies government and others.
- The judiciary makes sure that people obey the law and any offender is punished according to the dictates of the law.
- The judiciary guards and protects the constitution of the land from violation by anybody or government agencies.
- Protection of citizens’ rights and liberties.
- It gives advice to the president
- The judiciary can make laws through judicial pronouncements and precedence.
- Administrative functions such as granting divorce, performing marriages, administering oaths and swearing affidavits, management of estates on behalf of the minors ( children below eighteen years)
- Through the use of writ(s) that is a written order, the court may act to prevent violations of the law and compel adherence to it.
EVALUATION: 1. List and explain the arms of government
- Discuss the functions of each arms of government
CLASSWORK: As in evaluation
CONCLUSION: The teacher commends the students positively