Subject: Civic Education
Term: 1st Term
Class: Primary 5
Topic: Government Main services
Behavioral objectives: At the end of the lessons, the pupils should be able to
Different kind of Charts and references materials
Scheme of work
And other relevant materials
6 years basic Education curriculum
Building background connection to prior knowledge: pupils are familiar with the topic in their previous classes
CONTENT OF THE TOPIC
Services refer to those things which are officially provided by the government for everyone in a country. Government’s main services include these:
1. Maintenance of peace and security. The police force is the main agency of government which protects lives and property. The police maintain peace in society.
2. Maintenance of law and order. The government ensures that people obey the laws of the country, so that things can work in an orderly way. 3 Justice and equity. Government ensures that people get justice whenever they have a problem. It does this by establishing different courts, and employing lawyers and judges. When people have a problem with other people, they can go to court and get fair judgment.
3. Government defends the country against her enemies. The armed forces are directly in charge of defense. They protect Nigeria against aggression from other countries. The armed forces are made up of the army, the air force and the navy.
4. Education. Government ensures that there are good schools for children and even adults to attend. It makes sure that the teachers work in the schools, and that they get paid.
5. Health care. Government provides hospitals that are equipped with gadgets for health care. It also employs qualified health care providers such as doctors, nurses, pharmacists and laboratory scientists to look after the health of those who are sick.
6. Water. Government makes available potable water to prevent diseases. Pipe borne water is very important for use at home and in industries.
8. Good roads
Types of services Provided by government
Strategies and activities:
step1: Teacher revised previous lesson
Step 2: teacher introduces the new topic
Step 3: Teacher explains new topic
Step 4: Teacher welcomes pupils questions.
Step 5: Teacher evaluates the pupils
Assessment and evaluation
Teacher asks questions from pupils based on the topic
Wrap up and conclusions
Teacher goes over the topic for better understanding.
© Lesson Notes All Rights Reserved 2023