Subject: Civic Education
Term: 1st Term
Class: Primary 5
Topic: Values in house construction
Behavioral objectives: At the end of the lessons, the pupils should be able to
- Define value
- Know what values in house construction is all about
Different kind of Charts and references materials
Scheme of work
And other relevant materials
6 years basic Education curriculum
Building background connection to prior knowledge: pupils are familiar with the topic in their previous classes
CONTENT OF THE TOPIC
Values are those ideas which we, as members of society, have about what is right and what is wrong. A society without values will be chaotic and eventually get destroyed. Values keep a society decent, progressive, safe and attractive. Generally, the values relevant to house construction are those values which we must possess as members of society. They include:
- Self reliance
- Hard work
- Respect for quality, and accountability
- Honesty (accountability, accuracy). Builders, property developers, bricklayers, building materials merchants and all those involved in the construction of houses, must be honest. They should use materials of high quality.
- Self reliance (hard work, skill and discipline). Nigeria has many qualified people in the construction industry. Some of them are engineers, electricians, bricklayers, builders, surveyors, architects and plumbers. They should work hard and use their skills to construct good houses.
- Cooperation and unity. At construction sites, all workers should cooperate in order to construct good houses for the people.
- Tolerance, love, respect and peace. When we love others, we would treat them the way we want them to treat us. Builders and construction workers should show love for the owner of the house by being honest in the way they handle the construction of the house.
- Construction workers should do their work with joy. Also, those in charge should keep the workers happy by paying them well and promptly
Strategies and activities:
step1: Teacher revised previous lesson
Step 2: teacher introduces the new topic
Step 3: Teacher explains new topic
Step 4: Teacher welcomes pupils’ questions.
Step 5: Teacher evaluates the pupils
Assessment and evaluation
Teacher asks questions from pupils based on the topic
Wrap up and conclusions
Teacher goes over the topic for better understanding.
1. Define Honesty