SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE
TERM: 3RD TERM
TOPIC: FAMILY LIFE EDUCATION
Teenage pregnancy refers to pregnancy in a girl between the ages of 10-19. Teenage pregnancy is usually unintended and unwanted. The fact that you are at pubertal age and can get pregnant physically does not mean that you are really mature to be pregnant socially, emotionally, educationally even financially.
Teenage pregnancy can be dangerous for both the mother and the unborn child. Complication at child birth, and unsafe abortion, usually result from teenage pregnancy.
SUBTOPIC: CONSEQUENCES OF TEENAGE PREGNANCY AND DELIVERY
The following are some of the consequences of a girl who got pregnant at the unripe age of teens.
- Health Risks: Pregnancy induced hypertension, which can cause heart failure and death of both mother and the child. This type of pregnancy can lead to a condition whereby the girl’s pelvic opening is too small to allow the infants head to pass during delivery. This may cause tear between the vagina and the urinary tract or rectum. Caesarian section (C.S) may result because the hips are not widened enough for the baby to come through the pelvis.
- Unsafe Abortion: Since teenage pregnancy is unwanted, they are likely to seek abortion from untrained health care providers or can go on self medication for self induced abortion.
- Termination of education.
iii. Life span and career goals are disrupted
- Early marriage due to pregnancy
- Isolation from peers and low self esteem
- Low income and economic dependence
vii. Force marriage
- Emotional feeling of guilt and fear
- Loose of childhood and adopting to adulthood.
- What is education?
- Mention seven implications of teenage pregnancy
SUBTOPIC: MYTHS AND FACTS ABOUT PREGNANCY
- Young girls should not use contraceptives: Girls should abstain from sexual intercourse so as to prevent themselves using contraceptives but some girls are smart, if they have sexual intercourse and use contraceptives. Thus contraceptives are for bad girls.
The contraceptives causes the following
- It destroys the womb
- It makes one infertile for life
- It makes one thin
- It reduces one’s breast size
- The condom reduces sensitivity during sexual intercourse.
- A woman can get pregnant as a result of kiss.
- It is better for a woman to have children while still young as she can see them grow. The ideal age for pregnancy is between 25 and 35.
- For a woman to obtain the love of a man, she must have child for him.
- The female reproductive sex cells is (a) sperm (b) ovum (c) Testis (d) scrotum
- The two types of family are (a) nuclear and extended family
(b) Mother and father family (c) nuclear and niece family
(d) Extended and nephew family
- A nuclear family is ____ (a) is a family bombarded with nuclear weapon
(b) Is a family that includes father, grand mother, and children?
(c) Is a family that includes father, mother and children?
(d) Is a family that includes father, mother and blood relations?
- The specialized care or service given to a pregnant woman before she gives birth is called ______ (a) Post natal care (b) intra partum care (d) pregnancy care (d) pre natal care.
- What type of reproduction does man perform?
(a) Sexual (b) asexual (c) none of the above (d) all of the above
- Mention five reasons why you will not engage in sexual intercourse now as a JSS 3 student.