SUBJECT: HOME ECONOMICS
CLASS: JSS 3
TERM: 1st TERM
WEEK 6 - 7
TOPIC: DRESS SENSE (II)
FOR WEEKS 6 AND 7
TYPES OF FIGURE
Figure in clothing construct ion means the body outline or shape of a person. Different people have different figure types. These are the types of figures.
- Girls: For this figure, the bust is not yet defined .The figure is still developing .These is no need for under arm dart fitting is dress bodices.
- Chubby: This figure type is for a growing girl who is over the average weight for her age and height.
- Young /junior/teen: This is for adolescents or pre-teen or developing teen.
- Junior petite: This is for short well developed but small body builds. This group has the shortest waist length when compared with other figure types.
- Junior: This has a well developed figure that is slightly shorter than the Misses.
- Miss petite: This has a well developed figure as Misses but is shorter than misses.
- Misses: This is well proportioned and well developed in all body areas. It is the tallest figure types.
- Half size: This is a shorter figure .It is also fully developed .It has narrower shoulder than the Misses.
- Women: This is a fully matured figure.
COMMON FIGURE FAULTS OE PROBLEMS.
Styles of dresses which look beautiful on one person may be ugly on another .This is because people have different figure faults. Such as
- Very short neck.
- Big bust or flat chest.
- Very short or very tall figure.
Each case a person can choose those style, pattern or designs or colours that help to enhance he good features and hide the defects.
DRESS FOR DIFFERENT OCCASION
Dress for different occasions
- School clothes: Fabric for school clothes should be durable, washable, colourful and comfortable. The style should be loose enough to allow for school activities.
- Clothes for household work: Clothing for household activities should be comfortable, suitable, and washable, of simple style and durable fabrics.
- Clothing for sleeping (Night gowns or pajamas’): Fabrics should be soft-textured and flame resistant, clothes should be comfortable and looses. Tight clothes can restrict movement or flow of blood.
- Clothes for sports, picnic and relaxation: The clothes for active sports should provide for freedom of movement, slacks or trousers are comfortable for picnic.
- Clothes for religious worship: The clothes should be decent; overdressing for religious worship should be avoided.
- Clothes for travelling: Clothes should not crease; they should be washable and comfortable.
COLOR COMBINATION IN DRESS
There are different types of colours. Different people have different complexion (colours of skin) and body sizes. Some colours make people look bigger while others make them look smaller .It is therefore important to choose the right colours always. See lesson five for different types of colours.
All the terms we wear with our clothes are called accessories. These items should be chosen to suit the clothes and the occasion
- Hair make-up.