SUBJECT: CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
CLASS: JSS 3
TERM: 1st TERM
- A Proper Approach to Cultural and Creative Art by Peter Akinyemi and Others. (Book 1,2and 3)
TOPIC: OPPORTUNITIES FOR CAREER DRAMATISTS
MEANING OF A DRAMATIST: A dramatist or playwright is a person who writes plays. A dramatist is simply a playwright or a person who writes plays. A dramatist is a playwright while a playwright is a writer and creator of theatrical plays.
CAREER PROSPECTS OF A DRAMATIST/PLAYWRIGHT
A dramatist creates original written works such as scripts, essays, prose, poetry, or song lyrics for publication or performance. Playwrights are creative writers who create stories that are both fictitious and non fictitious, that often occur on stage. Playwrights bring about characters that are then brought to reality by the players. The written words once presented, create a piece of art which entertain, educate ,inform and move the audience.
NOTABLE NIGERIANS IN VARIOUS FIELDS
- PLAYWIGHTS: Professor Wole Soyinka ( He was awarded a noble prize in Literature in 1986 and the first African to be honored ) , Hubert Ogunde, BiyiBandele, BolajiOdofin, Jimi Solanke, NdukaOnwuegbute, Ola Rotimi , Ola O. Olugoke, Chinua Achebe etc.
- DIRECTORS: Adim Williams, Andy AmadiOkoroafor, Akin Omotoso , Andrew Dosunmu, Anthony Onah, BranwenOkpako, Chico Ejiro, Desmond Elliot , Alki David etc.
- DESIGNERS: DeolaSagoe ,ZiziCardow, FolakeFolarin Coker etc.
WAYS DRAMA AFFECT THE SOCIETY
- Positively deconstructing and reconstructing the society through written drama.
- Written works of dramatists cause a positive reformation and revolution in the mind of
the readers in the society.
- Educating and informing the society through written and unwritten works.
- Entertaining the society through artistic actions or renditions.
- Spiritually elevating and connecting the reader to the creator.
- Promoting the cultural heritage of the Nigerian people .
- Exposing social vices and in turn teaching us moral lessons through the outcome of such
- Who is a dramatist?
- Mention two names of playwright, director and designer in Nigeria.
- State two ways in which playwrights affect the society.
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- Mention the three primary triads.
- What is time signature?
- What is key signature?
- How many notes make a pentatonic scale?
- What musical sign is placed before a note to raise it by a semitone?
Cultural and Creative Art by Peter Akinyemi. (Book 3)
REFERENCE PAGE: Pages 91– 99. Attempt the revision questions.
- ……….…is a skilled drama personnel who creatively writes plays. (a) Playwright (b) Poet (c) Novelist (d) Journalist
- Who among these playwrights in Nigeria won a noble prize in 1986 as an outstanding playwright of dramatic literature? (a) Chinua Achebe (b) Prof. Wole Soyinka (c) Ola Rotimi (d) Ola Olugoke
- Written works of a playwright or dramatist are solely based on …….and ………..… (a) fiction and non-fiction (b) religion and politics (c) None of the above (d) All of the above.
- ‘The gods are Not to Blame’ is a written work by …….(a) Ola Rotimi (b) Ola Olugoke (c) Prof. Wole Soyinka (d) HurbertOgunde
- Written plays that are invented or imagined without being relevant to real life situations are based on ……….….(a) fiction (b) non-fiction (c) All of the above (d) None of the above
- Mention the name of two popular drama directors in Nigeria.
- State one renowned designer in Nigeria.