TERM: FIRST TERM
SUBJECT: BUSINESS STUDIES
CLASS: JSS 3
TOPIC: ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF TRANSPORTATION
ADVANTAGES OF TRANSPORT BY ROAD
- Road transport is flexible.
2� It is a suitable means of transport for carrying perishable goods.
3� It is relatively a faster means of transport.
4� The maintenance cost is low.
5� Loading and unloading are easy.
6� It provides door-to-door service for transporting goods, etc.
DISADVANTAGESOF TRANSPORT BY ROAD
- The rate at which accidents happen is high.
- Congestions and traffic congestions occur in road transport.
- It is not suitable for carrying fragile goods.
- It does not operate on schedule.
- Welfare facilities such as canteens and toilets are not provided.
- It is not suitable for conveying heavy and bulky goods, etc.
ADVANTAGES OF RAIL TRANSPORT
- Trains carry bulky goods more than motor vehicles.
- Accidents are not common occurrence.
- Train fares are cheaper than that of motor vehicles.
- It is good for long distance journeys.
- Canteen and toilet facilities are made available in trains.
- Trains do not involve in traffic hold-ups, etc
DISADVANTAGES OF RAIL TRANSPORT
- It is not flexible like road transport
- The maintenance costs of trains and their lines are high
- Loading and unloading of goods in trains are not easy
- Trains do not provide door-to-door service
- Trains cannot be used by firms to do door-to-door advertising
- Trains delay a lot on their ways as they stop from station to station,etc.
ADVANTAGES OF WATER TRANSPORT
- It is the most suitable means of carrying bulky goods.
- It connects countries of the world.
- It helps to make international trade possible.
- It is cheaper in long distance journeys than air transport.
- Cargoes are expertly packed in ships.
- Luxurious facilities are provided in trains,etc.
DISADVANTAGES OF WATER TRANSPORT
- It is very slow especially in long distances.
- It is very expensive to acquire a ship.
- Construction of new seaports is very expensive.
- It is faced with the dangers of sea storms.
- It is not a common means of transportation.
- Loading and unloading of goods in ships is not easy,etc.
ADVANTAGESOF AIR TRANSPORT
- Air transport is the fastest means of transport.
- It is the most suitable means of transporting perishable goods.
- When efficiency and comfort are essential, it provides the answer.
- It is conducted on schedule and therefore, it is reliable.
- It is a� very good means of transport over long distances.
- It costs nothing to provide air routes, etc.
DISADVANTAGES OF AIR TRANSPORT
- Air transport cost is very expensive.
- It is not flexible because it is operated on schedule.
- It is not suitable for carrying bulky goods.
- Its operation is influenced by weather.
- Cost of construction and equipping of airports are expensive.
- Airports are located away from the people, etc.
ADVANTAGESOF PIPELINE TRANSPORTATION
- It is a suitable means of transporting liquids.
- It is cost effective.
- It does not require elaborate preparation for loading and off-loading.
DISADVANTAGESOF PIPELINE TRANSPORTATION
1.Pipelines are prone to vandalisation.
- Some pipelines carrying toxic materials can be dangerous to the environment when damaged.
- The cost of patrolling the pipelines to guard against vandalisation is very high.
- State four advantages of air transport.
- What are the five shortcomings of rail transport.
Business Studies for JSS3 by O. A. Lawal, pages 44 to 51
- Give the second eight consonants and their outlines.
- Give the third eight consonants and their outlines.
- Give the upward R and the downward R and their outlines.
- How many vowels are there in Pitman shorthand?
- Write out the vowels.
- ---- is the fastest means of transport. A. Air B. Water C. Road D. Rail
- ---- is the most suitable means of transport for carrying bulky good.
- Water B. Air C. Road D. Rail
- ---- transport system is the most suitable for carrying perishable
- Road B.Air C. Rail D. Pipeline
- --- transport system is affected by traffic jams.
- Road B. Rail C. Air D. Water
- The transport system that is most affected by weather is ----
- rail B. road C. water D. air
- State five advantages and five disadvantages of transport by air
- Mention three advantages of water transport� over air