TERM: FIRST TERM
SUBJECT: BUSINESS STUDIES
CLASS: JSS 3
- Means of Transportation in Nigeria
- Advantages and Disadvantages ofTransportation
DEFINITION/MEANING OF TRANSPORTATION
Transportation is concerned with the movement of people and goods from one place to another. This is concerned with all activities that ensure effective transportation system.
Those who engage in these services are drivers, pilots, sailors,etc.
IMPOTRTANCE OF TRANSPORTATION
- It facilitates efficient distribution of goods and services.
- It promotes trading activities.
- It facilitates efficient movement of productive resources i.e man and materials.
- Transportation prevents waste. Eg of perishable goods.
- It encourages the development of rural areas.
- It encourages trade between one country and another.
- Transport widens the market for goods and services ie taking goods and services to where they are needed most.
- It leads to economic growth and development.
- Transport helps to improve the standard of living of the people.
MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION IN NIGERIA
The means or methods of transportation in Nigeria are as follows –
- Transport by Land: Land transport can be sub-divided into
A Road transport and
B Rail transport
The means of road transport in Nigeria are-
- motor vehicle
Transport by Rail: Train has its special route. It does not move on ordinaryground. The special iron tracks on which trains move are known as railwaylines.
- Water Transport: This uses:
- ship, etc
- Air Transport – This is carried out by means of aeroplanes fromone airport to another in Nigeria.
- Pipeline Transport: This is a suitable means of transporting liquid products such water, crude oil and gas.
- Define transportation.
- State the main modes of transportation.
Business Studies for JSS3 by O. A. Lawal, pages 41 to 49.
- What is a reception office?
- Who is a receptionist?
- Mention four job qualities of a receptionist.
- Give four documents handled by a receptionist.
- What is book keeping?
- Define a petty cash book.
- Transportation is the movement of _____ and ____ from one place to another.
- goods and services B. goods and loads C. people and children D. people and goods.
- Which of the following is not an importance of transportation? Transportation___
- expands the scope of the market for manufactured goods. B. facilitates the distribution of goods C. increases the spoilage of goods D. encourages tourism.
- Which of the following means of transport is suitable for transporting crude oil?
- Ferry B. Coaster C. Pipeline D. Road transport
- The means of transport that involves special iron tracks for it to move is known as ___ A. pipeline transport B. road water transport C. rail transport D. air transport.
- Which is the odd one among the following?
- Ferry B. Carmel C. Trailer D.bus.
- Give the main means of transportation
- State five importance of transportation