TERM: FIRST TERM
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE
CLASS: JSS 3
- BasicScience Made Easy for JSS Three by F.I Kehinde et al
- BasicScience Made Easy for JSS Two by F.I Kehinde et al
- STAN Integrated Science for JSS Three
- Precious Seeds Basic Science for JSS three by J.O Otugboyegaet al.
DRUG AND SUBSTANCES
- Health Effects of Drug Abuse on Youth
- Strategies on How to Live an Healthy Drug Free Life
- Roles of National Drug Control Agency (NDCA)
DRUG AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE
Drug abuse is the excessive use or continuous use of drugs without regard for accepted medical practice. When a drug is used to incite pleasure or escape reality, especially without the doctor's prescription, is said to be abused.
Substances can also be abused when they are taken beyond acceptable limits. Excess intake of alcohol, cigarette, Marijuana and Indian helm are all example of substance abuse.
HEALTH EFFECTS OF DRUG ABUSE ON YOUTH
Drug and substance abuse has some immediate effects like lightheadedness, stomach upset, skin rashes, injection abscesses and so on but there are also more chronic effects like:
- There is a 'crash' after the 'high' of taking drugs. There is usually fatigue, depression, anxiety and dependence after the drug effect has worn off.
- Drug abusers easily lose focus.
- Drug abuse increases the rate of accident because most drugs affect the motor nerves that controls movement of body parts.
- The aftereffect of some drugs create illusion and hallucinations which terrifies the victim.
- Unsterilised needles are often used by abusers. This exposes them to a high risk of contacting dangerous disease.
- Drug overdose often place its victims in coma or a vegetable state unless taken care off.
- Victim of drug abuse are often violent and found to be psychological unhealthy.
- What is drug abuse?
- What are the health effects of drug abuse?
STRATEGIES ON HOW TO LIVE AN HEALTHY DRUG FREE LIFE
- Always use drugs according to doctor's prescription.
- Inculcate positive social interactions and healthy lifestyle.
- Always reject any invitation to take drugs or substances that are unfamiliar or that are likely to be abuse. Say NO to drug and substance abuse.
- Avoid going to indecent places (e.g clubs, bar, anti social gatherings) where drug abuse is likely to occur.
ROLES AND ACTIVITIES NATIONAL DRUG CONTROL AGENCY (NDCA)
The Drug control Agencies in Nigeria include:
- NAFDAC (National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control)
- NDLEA (National Drug Law Enforcement Agency)
The functions of these agencies are as follows:
- They control the manufacturing of drugs.
- They monitor sales and distribution of drugs.
- They refill prescriptions.
- They care for drug dependent victims.
- They control of environment conducive to drug abuse development.
- They research on the method of rehabilitation of drug addict.
- They educate the general public on the need to avoid drug abuse.
- State four strategies that can help one to live a drug free life
- State two drug control agencies in Nigeria and their functions
- Mention four commonly abused substances and their method of use.
- State four ways to control drug abuse.
- State five effect of drug abuse on youth.
- What is drainage?
- List five types of abstinence
Basic Science Made Easy for JSS Three by F.I. Kehinde et al. Chapter 4. Pages 12-13
- The excessive use of drugs without prescription is called drug ___� A. abuse� B. misuse� C. overdose� D. use
- Which of the following is an effect of drug abuse on youths.� A. Increased focus� B. Wealth� C. Depression� D. Happiness
- An agency that controls the production and distribution of drugs in Nigeria is� A. EFCC� B. NDLEA� C. DSS
- Which of the following is an example of a commonly abused substance?� A. Water� B. Opium� C. Paracetamol� D. Juice
- Which of the following places is substance abuse more likely?� A. Club� B. Church� C. Conference� D. At home
- What is drug abuse?
- State five ways in which drug abuse can be reduced among teenagers.