SUBJECT: HOME ECONOMICS
CLASS:� JSS 2
TERM: 3rd TERM
- HOME ECONOMICS NEW CONCEPT BOOK 2 BY POPOOLA O.O.
- HOME ECONOMICS FOR JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS 1-3 BY ELIZABETHU. ANYAKOHA.
TOPIC: PURCHASING, PROCESSING, PRESERVATION AND SAFETY OF FOODSTUFF
- Importance of Buying Good Quality Foodstuff
- Factors to Consider whenbuying foods
- Methods of Purchasing Foods
- Wise Buying Practices
IMPORTANCE OF BUYING GOOD QUALITY FOODSTUFFS
- � Best quality foods usually keeps better and yield a greater number of portions than poor quality foods as a result of this best quality food should be purchased.
- � Good quality food stuffs are fresh, wholesome, attractive and nutritious.
- � They can be stored for a long time.
- � There will be no wastage or contamination by food spoilage organisms.
- � Good quality foods give satisfaction and the nutrients content is still intact.
FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING FOOD
- � Size of the family: A family of three will definitely requires less food than a family of ten.
- � Quality of food:� Buying good quality foodstuff will help to save more money and prevent wastages.
- � Foods in season:� They are foodstuffs that are in their harvest time. They are cheaper and at their best.
- � Money available:� This determines the quality and quantity of food to buy and where to buy.
- � The family food needs:� It is necessary to consider the nutritional needs of the family members, their food preferences, likes and dislikes.
- � Where to buy:� Decide in advance where to make purchase from. Food can be bought in open market, supermarket, special stores, etc. Buy where foodstuff is best and cheapest.
- � Food preservation and storage facilities available e.g. refrigerator, cupboards, etc.
- � When to buy:� For instance, vegetables and meat are best purchased in the mornings in the open markets.
- � List and explain three factors to consider when purchasing foodstuffs.
- � State two importance of buying good quality food.
METHODS OF PURCHASING FOODS
There are two methods of purchasing foods.
- � Bulk Purchasing/buying
- � Piece meal purchasing
BULK PURCHASING:This involves buying a large quantity of differentfood stuffs at a time. Buying in bulk will be wise especially when foods are in season.
Advantages of Bulk Buying
- a)� It is economical and saves money.
- b)� It saves time and energy.
- c)� It ensures that food is always in the home.
- d)� It enables the family to make use of food in season. Foods in season can be bought at a cheaper rate and stored for the time they are scarce and expensive.
Disadvantages of Bulk Buying
- a)� It can lead to wastage. Some of the food items can go bad or spoil if there is no good storage facility.
- b)� It can take much of the family income, and prevent purchase of other needed commodities.
- c)� One kind of food purchased in bulk can become monotonous to the family diet.
- d)� Some foodstuffs loose taste when kept for too long.
PIECE MEAL:This simply means buying in small quantity at a time.
Advantages of Piece Meal Purchasing
- a)� It does not require a large sum of money.
- b)� It does not lead to wastages.
- c)� It is a good choice for a home maker who lacks storage facilities.
Disadvantages of Piece Meal
- a)� It wastes time, money and energy.
- b)� Food is not always available and this may cause some embarrassment in an emergency.
- c)� It makes the management of family resources inadequate.
- � Differentiate between bulk and piece meal purchasing.
- � State three advantages of bulk purchasing.
WISE BUYING PRACTICES
- � Make a shopping list and keep to it when buying.
- � Ensure that there are adequate storage facilities for the items to be purchased.
- � Buy foods in season.
- � Judge the quality and values of food before buying.
- � Read labels on packaged food containers.
- � Make bulk purchases whenever possible.
- � Compare values and prices in different stores and with different sellers.
- � Check measurement when buying foodstuffs such as grains, pulses, etc.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- � State three importance of buying good quality foodstuffs.
- � Mention five wise buying practices.
- � List and explain types of buying.
- � State five ways of maintaining food hygiene.
- � List and explain types of kitchen equipment.
Buying of foodstuff:� Home economics for JSS 1-3 by Anyakoha. Pages 316-318
- � Good quality foods yields ____ numbers of portions. A. fewer B. greater C. less D. none of the above.
- � The type of shopping whereby the home maker compare prices and quality is known as ____
- impulse buying B.� comparative shopping ��� D.� not buying at all ��� D.� buying all in the market
- � Goods should be bought and stored in large quantity when they are in ____ A. in seasonB. out of season C. in dry season D. all of the above.
- � When buying food or other goods, it is necessary to ____A. shop anywhere B. walk around the market C. buy the most expensive product D. compare prices
- � Buying food by merely seeing it and not out of need is called ____ buying. A. impulse�
- unrestricted C. quick D. sight
- � List and explain two methods for purchasing goods.
- � State two factors that influence buying.