SUBJECT: CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
CLASS: JSS 2
TERM: 3rd TERM
- A Proper Approach to Cultural and Creative Art by Peter Akinyemi and other co-authors. Book 2.
- Pattern design work in simple repeat pattern depicting butterfly as the motif.
- Make acolourful bead that can be worn around the neck.
TOPIC: KEY SIGNATURE
DEFINITION OF KEY SIGNATURE
Key signature refers to a set of marks in form of musical signs like sharp and flat, introduced just before the treble and bass clef or at the beginning of a musical staff of a printed manuscript to indicate the key a musical piece is. Key signature is a group of sharps or flats placed to the right of the clef on a staffto identify the key in a musical piece.
USES OF KEY SIGNATURE
- A key signature designates notes that are to be played higher or lower than the corresponding natural notes and applies to the end of the piece or up to the next key signature.
- A key signature serves as a guide to the performer of a piece of music.
- The key signature determines the pattern of accidentals, that is the sharps and flats to be played, and reappears at the beginning of each staff.
- What is key signature?
- State two functions of motif.
KEY SIGNATURE OF MAJOR SCALE
An example of a C sharp major scale with a key signature of seven sharps which are grouped as follows.
SCALE OF C #SHARP MAJOR
KEY SIGNATURE OF MINOR SCALE
An example of harmonic minor scale of key ‘D’ with an accidental one sharp in key C ascending is naturalized in key C descending while key B is flattened as the next door key to key C as shown below.
HARMONIC MINOR SCALE OF ‘D’
HARMONIC MINOR SCALE OF ‘E’
- Construct the scale ofC#sharp major in the treble clef using key signature and accidentals.
- Construct the scale of F# sharp major in the bass clef using key signature and accidentals.
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- What is colour?
- Mention the three properties of colour and explain.
- What are primary colours?
- What is the difference between intermediate colour and tertiarycolour?
- Define secondary colour.
- Mention the three warm and cool colour.
- Explain neutral colours and state examples.
Cultural and Creative Art Book 2, Peter Akinyemi and other authors, Page 11
- Musical signs like sharp and flat are key signature which also ____ (a) accidental (b) clef (c) time signature (d) note
- ____ are introduced before the notes to raise each note by a semitone in the scale of C sharp major.(a) Flat (b) Sharp (c) Double flat (d) Double sharp
- ____ are introduced before a note to reduce that note by a semitone in the scale of F flat major. (a) Flat (b) Sharp (c) Double flat (d) Double sharp
- In the C major scale ,the eight note is called ____ (a) octave (b) tonic (c) supertonic
- What is the technical name for the fifth note in the C major scale?(a) Tonic (b) Super tonic (c) Leading note (d) Dominant
- What is key signature?
- State one function of key signature.