TERM: 2nd TERM
SUBJECT: CIVIC EDUCATION
CLASS: JSS 2
- Fundamentals of Civic Education for Basic 8 by Sola Akinyemi.
- Fundamentals of Civic Education for Basic 8 Workbook by Sola Akinyemi.
TOPIC: DEMOCRATIC INSTITUTIONS
For democracy to thrive in any nation, there are some democratic institutions that enable it go on smoothly. Some of them are as follows:
- The Electoral Commission.
An electoral commission is charged with the responsibility of conducting and supervising elections in a country. The electoral body responsible for conducting and supervising election in Nigeria is the Independent Nigerian Electoral Commission (INEC). This body has been conducting elections in Nigeria since 1999. Some of its functions:
- It registers political parties that present candidates for elections.
- It is responsible for conducting elections in the states of the federation.
- It divides the country into constituencies.
- It reviews voters’ register before elections.
- It gives financial grants to political parties.
Mention three functions of INEC.
A political party is an organized group of people with similar political opinion and ideologies working together for the purpose of winning elections into political positions. Some of the notable political parties in Nigeria are: the All Progressive Congress (APC), the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) and the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA). Some of its functions:
- They promote national unity.
- They educate the electorates.
- They promote national stability.
- They promote interest in politics.
Mention three political parties in Nigeria.
A pressure group refers to any group of people with common interest, engaging in activities that will influence
government’s policies to their own benefits. Examples of pressure groups in Nigeria are: Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), Nigeria Medical Association(NMA), Nigeria Bar Association (NBA). Some of the functions of pressure groups are:
- They promote and protect the interest of members.
- They educate their members and the public.
- They help in promoting economic stability.
- They make government pay attention to peoples’ need.
CHARACTERISTICS OF PRESSURE GROUPS
- They are well organized.
- They are financed through members’ contribution.
- They exist to protect common interest of members.
- They rarely recruit members.
Fundamentals of Civic Education for Basic 8 by Sola Akinyemipgs 103-112
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- State three groups in the pressure group.
- Mention three characteristics of pressure group.
- What is courage?
- Mention five characteristics of courageous people.
- INEC is responsible for the division of the country into_____. A. constitutionally B. constituencies C. components D. border lines
- The current chairman of APC is_____. A. AlliModu Sheriff B. John Oyegun C. Harry Marshall D. Gbenga Daniels
- In this current dispensation, democracy started in____. A.2000 B. 1999 C. 2001 D. 2015
- These are the features of the pressure group except____. A. they exploit their members B. the rarely recruit members C. they protect common interest of members D. they are financed through members’ contribution
- The immediate past chairman of INEC was____. A. Prof. JegaB.Dr. OnuC.Prof. Obasi D. Chief Onasanya
- State two functions of a political party.
- Mention three functions of the electoral commission.