SUBJECT: CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS KNOWLEDGE
CLASS: JSS 2
TERM: 2nd TERM
TOPIC: JESUS CHRIST IMPROVES THE EXISTING LAWS
(1) MURDER [Matt.5:21-26]
(2) ADULTERY [Matt.5:27-30]
(3) SWEARING [Matt.5:33-37]
(4) RETALIATION [Matt.5:38-42]
(5) LOVE OF THE ENEMIES [Matt.5:43-48]
Jesus Christ said continually that he did not come to condemn the law but came to fulfill it. He did not only come to fulfill the law but also to improve it. He came to give the true meaning of the law by giving deeper interpretation of the law. He went beyond what the people knew. It is when the people know what the law is all about they can then stop breaking it and be obedient to it. Jesus spoke on some examples from the commandment laws to show them how this is possible.
What are laws?
JESUS AND THE OLD TESTAMENT LAWS MAT 5:21-48
1) ON MURDER: - The law says. “You shall not kill and whosever kills shall be liable to judgment. The act of killing is bad and sinful. Jesus went beyond the act of killing to condemn anger of heart murder. He advocates that we should not insult or bear grudge towards others. We should forgive and forget. He says that anyone who says, “You fool” shall be liable to hell fire.
2) ON SWEARING: - The Jewish says “you shall not swear false but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn’. The law permits people to swear but what they say must be the truth and nothing else. The aim of the law is to compel the people to say the truth and make people to be honest and sincere. Jesus added more to it. He said do not swear at all ether by heaven, earth or by Jerusalem, you shall simply say Yes or No.
3) ON REVENGE: The law says “an eye for an eye, tooth for tooth”. Jesus warned that we should not retaliate the wrong done to us. Retaliation is for God alone. It calls for peace, social justice and control of violence in the society. Jesus says if anyone slaps you on the right check, turn the left cheek. If anyone asks you to go a mile, go with him two miles, if anyone asks for a coat, give him two coats.
4) ON ADULTERY: The law says you should not commit adultery Jesus state that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has committed adultery already. Jesus therefore states that anything that can cause you to sin, avoid it.
5) ON DIVORCE: The law says that anyone who wants to divorce his wife, he should give her a certificate of divorce, but Jesus said divorce should only be on the ground of unchastity or unfaithfulness. Married couples should avoid sexual promiscuity which leads to divorce or separation.
6) ON LOVE: The Jewish law asked people to love their neighbours and hate their enemies. Jesus however, said “love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you”. We should therefore understand the law before obeying it. We should worship God with a pure heart.This means no anger and hatred in the heart we should love our enemies and not kill them.
When the Pharisees challenge Jesus for allowing his disciples to pluck corn on a Sabbath, He reminded them on how David entered the house of God and ate the sacred bread when he was hungry. Jesus therefore declared; the Sabbath was made for man; not man for the Sabbath.
A man with a withered hand was brought to Jesus to heal on a Sabbath day. The Pharisee came around to know what He would do. Jesus knowing their intentions asked them “is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill. The Pharisee were confused. Jesus went ahead to cure the man.
The conclusion, some human needs are above others.
III) PURITY AND HUMAN LAW MK 7:1-13
The Pharisee and Scribes condemned the disciples of Jesus for eating bread with unwashed hands. For the Pharisees and all the Jews, except they wash, they will not eat. They also wash cups, pots, brazen vessels and tables before eating or doing anything with them when they come from market; thereby holding the tradition of the elders.
These were the charges the Pharisee and scribes brought to Jesus that his disciples failed to keep or walk according to the traditions of the elders. Jesus responded to them by saying that they honour God with their lips, but their heart is far from Him. That they worship God in vain teaching doctrines and the commandments of men and laying aside the commandments of God.
Jesus further told them that purity of heart should supersede human laws. Human laws can be changed and broken, but purity of heart becomes paramount as that is the only passport one has to see God. He also told them that there is nothing that enters into a man that can defile him, but the things which come out of him; those are the things that defile the man.
1) How did Jesus defend his use of the Sabbath?
2) Identify two Old Testament law in the passage (Matt 5:21-28). What does Jesus Christ teach about these laws?
General Evaluation/ Revision Questions
 Christian Religious knowledge for JSS. BK 2,by T.N.O Quarcoopome eta’l.Page:145-148
 Christian Religious knowledge for JSS. BK 1-3 by A.F Bello.Page:214-220..
 Fundanmental of Christian Religious Knowledge for JSS. BK 1, by Adeyinka.Page:42-44.
 Ilesanmi Christian Religion Studies for JssBk 2 ByTundeErumolba eta’l.Page:66-68.
 Revised Standard Version Bible (Compulsory)
© Lesson Notes All Rights Reserved 2023