SUBJECT: HOME ECONOMICS
CLASS: JSS 2
TERM: 2nd TERM
- HOME ECONOMICS FOR JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS 1-3 BY ELIZABETH U. ANYAKOHA.
- HOME ECONOMICS NEW CONCEPT BOOK 2 BY POPOOLA O.O.
TOPIC: FAMILY CRISIS
- MEANING OF FAMILY CRISIS
- TYPES OF FAMILY CRISIS
- WAYS OF COPING WITH FAMILY CRISIS
Family crisis is a situation that marks a period of change in the normal events of the family. It is a situation that mark a turning point, when thing cease to go on as usual in the family.
Crisis is a change in the normal way of life of the family. Crisis can also be referred to as challenges.
TYPES OF CRISIS IN THE HOME
- Arrival of a new baby: This could result to crisis whereby the older ones or the father feel neglected by the mother.
- Burglary: A lot of property may be lost to bandits and this may lead to undue stress which may result to crisis.
- Joblessness: Lack of a job in the family leading to begging or maladjusted behaviour may equally result to crisis
- Death: The loss of a loved one may lead to family crisis.
- Personality clash: Family members differ in their likes and dislikes. They differ in their ways of reaction to issues. This can bring crisis when the clash is very serious.
- Different standards and rules: A situation where both parents set their personal standard and rules without considering the other will bring crisis.
- Problems at school: Failure in examination, examination malpractices, suspension, expulsion, etc. can also result in crisis.
- Divorce: When there is break up of a marriage or separation of family members, it can result in family crisis which may have negative effects on the children.
- Define family crisis.
- State four types of crises in the home.
WAYS OF COPING WITH FAMILY CRISIS
- Make savings so as to have enough for period of lack
- Monitor the social lives of children when they are outside the home
- Love children equally
- Prepare the heart of younger ones towards period of change such a s the arrival of a new baby
- Inculcate acceptable social habit in younger children when they are very young.
- Parents should agree on how to help the children
- When it is necessary and possible family can always seek help from outside
- Communication- family members should share feelings and problems with one another.
- It might be necessary to find a new school for the child.
- Mention three causes of family crisis.
- State two ways one can cope with crisis.
General Ways of Managing Family Crisis
- Cooperation- Family members should cooperate to share the good and crisis time together.
- Communication- When family members communicate properly, they can find solutions to their problems.
- Family should try to continue to do some of the things they have always done, in spite of the crisis.
- The family should be adaptable to changes which may come with crisis.
- When necessary, family can seek help from outside
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- Define family crisis.
- Explain three types of crisis in the home.
3 State any three general ways of coping with a family crisis.
4 Outline any two ways in which the arrival of a new baby can become a crisis.
- Is there any relationship between family conflict and family crisis? If yes, explain.
Family Crisis: Home Economics for JSS by Anyakoha. Pages 157 – 162.
Home Economics New Concept book 2 by Popoola O.O. Pages111-117.
- A situation that marks a turning-point when things cease to go on as usual in a family is called _______
- crisis B. conflict C. decision D. disunity.
- _____ is one of the family crises.
- Joblessness B. Conflict C. Monitor D. Peace.
- Crisis can also be referred to ________
- conflict B. demand C. challenges D. disunity
- __________ is a situation that affect family lifestyle
- Crisis B. Conflict C. Value D. Resolution
- Disagreement among the family members is referred to as ________
- crisis B. worth C. conflict D. violation
- Explain two types of family crisis.
- Explain three ways one can cope with the family crisis.