TERM: FIRST TERM
SUBJECT: CIVIC EDUCATION
CLASS: JSS 2
MEANING OF GOVERNMENT�
The word government has two main definitions:-
- It is the act of ruling and directing the affairs of people in a society or a nation for all-round peaceful co-existences and development or�
- It is a group of people or body of persons that are given the authority to rule, protect and direct the affairs of the society or a nation
What is government?
Arms of Government�
These are the organs of government namely:-
- The Legislatures
- The Executive and � iii.� The Judiciary
Mention the three arms of government.
The Executive carries out government laws and decisions. In essence, they executes any bill passed into law for the advancement of the society. At the federal level, the executive arm is headed by the President. At state level, the executive arm is headed by the governor of each state. While the local government chairman is the chief executive officer of each local government.�
Functions of the Executive
- Appointment and removal of cabinet members.
- It prepares annual budgets and implements it.
- The president or governor has the power to issue pardon for offences against the state. This is called prerogative of mercy.
- It implements laws made by the legislature.�
Mention the functions of the executive.
Symbols of Office
The symbols of office are the vital instruments that identify the above offices.� They are respectively symbolized with�
- the national flag and� ii the coat of arms
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- �What is government?
- Mention the three arms of government.
- Mention the types of citizenship we have.
- List five ways of naturalization in Nigeria.
Fundamentals of Civic Education for Basic 8 by Sola Akinyemi pgs 46-47
- � � � The law-making body in a federal system of government is called _________.
- Lawyers ��� ��� B. Judiciary��� ��� ��� C. President � � D. Legislature
- ______ interprets the law made for the country.
- Interpreter ��� ��� B. Judiciary��� ��� ��� C. Legislature��� D. President
- ____ holds the executive power at the federal level in Nigeria.
- President��� ��� B. VP��� ��� ��� C. Senate President��� D. All of the above�
- The symbols of office in high government offices in Nigeria are____.�
- Pictures and National flag B. The Coat of Arms and Nigerian flag C.� National flag and beautiful objects��� D.� All of the above
- The organs of government in Nigeria are _______ in number.
- 3 ��� ��� B. 4��� ��� ��� C. 5��� ��� ��� D. 6
- List the arms of government in Nigeria.
- List the levels of government in Nigeria.