SUBJECT: CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS KNOWLEDGE
CLASS: JSS 2
TERM: 1st TERM
- Christian Religious Knowledge for JSS 2 by F.N.O Quarcoopome et’ tal.
- Christian Religious Knowledge for JSS 2 by Adedeyinkae’tal
- Ilesanmi Christian Religious Studies for JSS 2 by TundeErumeobee’tal
- Christian Religious Knowledge for JSS 1-3, by A.F Bello.
- Revised Standard Version (R.S.V.) Bible
TOPIC: JESUS TEACHING ON THE MOUNT/THE DEMAND OF THE KINGDOM
- The Beatitudes (Matt. 5; 1-12).
- Christian as Salt and Light of the World (Matt. 5; 13-16).
- Forgiveness (Matt. 6; 14-15).
THE BEATITUDES (Mathew 5:1-12)
The word “beatitude” is derived from a Latin word “Beatus” which means different things. It means blessedness, successful or prosperous. It describes the state of people who are truly happy.
The beatitude is the beginning of Jesus’ sermon on the mountain. It contains a blessing which are as follows.
- Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of God.
- Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted
- Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
- Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy
- Blessed are the pure in hearts for they shall see God.
- Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the sons of God.
- Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account “rejoice and be glad for your reward is great in heaven for so persecute you, the prophets who were before you.
- What are the beatitudes?
- Who are the merciful?
Christian as salt and light of the word (Matt. 5; 13-16)
In his sermon on the mount, Jesus said that Christian should be the salt of the earth and light of the world. As the salt of the earth, He said, they should keep up its taste, or else it would become useless and thrown away.
As the light of the world, He said they were like a city on top of a high hill, which could not be hidden. They were also like a lamp placed on a lamp stand which gave light to everybody in the house. Jesus therefore told them, ‘Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and give glory to your father who is in heaven.
- In what way are the Christians the salt of the earth?
- What will happen if the Christians failed to shine as light of the word?
Forgiveness (Matt. 6; 14-15).
In the Lord’s Prayer Jesus Christ emphasized the need for forgiveness. He said: “For if you forgive men their trespasses (offences), your heavenly father will forgive you; but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your heavenly father forgive your trespasses.”
He realized that if we can forgive and also forget the offences of others, the word will be peaceful. There would not be need to retaliate, as this can cause more problems.
On revenge, Jesus said in (Matthew 5:38-42), that we should not follow the Law of Moses that says: “An eye for an eye, and tooth for a tooth.”
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- Can we forgive and also forget as human being the offences of others to us? Explain.
- Explain the teaching of Jesus on revenge according to Matthew 5:38-42.
- What was the sin of Adam & Eve?
- What was the curse placed on the woman by God?
- Christian Religious knowledge for JSS. BK 2,by T.N.O Quarcoopomeeta’l.Page:107,111-112,119-129
- Christian Religious knowledge for JSS. BK 1-3 by A.F Bello.Page:193,199.
- Fundanmental of Christian Religious Knowledge for JSS. BK 1, by Adeyinka.24-25.
- Ilesanmi Christian Religion Studies for JssBk 2 By TundeErumoleta’l.Page:
- Revised Standard Version Bible (Compulsory)
- Blessed are the poor in spirit is the____.(a) 1st (b) 2nd (c) 3rd (d) 4th
- The blessing for the meek is that they will____. (a) be comforted (b) inherit the earth
(c) Obtain mercy (d) Called sons of God.
- Blessed are the ____ for they shall obtain mercy. (a) Pure in hearth
(b) Poor in spirit (c) Merciful (d) meek
- The category of people to see God is the ____ (a) Peacemakers
(b) Pure in heart (c) Merciful (d) persecution
- The peacemakers are in ___ blessing. (a) 7 (b) 8 (c) 9 (d) 10
- Explain what Jesus meant by the following:
“Ye are the salt of the earth…”
Ye are the light of the world’’
- Define ‘Beatitude’.