TERM: FIRST TERM
SUBJECT: CIVIC EDUCATION
CLASS: JSS 2
- Definition or meaning of courage
- Types of Courage
- The characteristics of a courageous person
Meaning or Definition of Courage
Courage can be defined simply as the ability to face danger with boldness.
Types of Courage
There are three main types of courage:
- Physical courage
- Moral courage and
- Spiritual courage
Physical Courage: This is the ability to physically face a dangerous situation. An example is a girl who got up prepared to kill a snake.
Moral Courage: This is this displayed when one feels that it will be morally wrong not to face the danger or pains associated with a crime. An example is a child who decided to confess he stole his mother’s pen.
Spiritual Courage: This arises when someone is ready to face danger on account of religious matter. For example. A Prophet is sent by God to warn a king of the consequences of his bad policies . He needs spiritual courage to be able to carry out the assignment.
What is courage?
Attributes or Features of Courage
- boldness 2. Bravery 3. Commitment 4. Endurance 5. Determination 6. Diligence
- Boldness : is the ability to speak out in the face of evil or injustice.
- Bravery: is the preparedness to face danger for a purpose. For example a soldier that goes to war to save his country.
- Commitment: This is a feeling of responsibility in a given situation. For example, a parent’s duty to his children at school.
- Endurance: Is the ability to go through or bear pains and difficulties.
- Determination: is the readiness to face a given task or assignment not minding the difficulties and pains involved.
- Diligence: this is the desire or habit of hard work.
Mention three features of courage.
Characteristics of Courageous People: These are
- Boldness : Every courageous person is always bold.
- Bravery: A courageous person displays bravery in an unusual circumstances
- Commitment : Every courageous person feels a sense of commitment to a goal or given course despite all odds.
- Endurance: By character, every courageous person has an enduring spirit.
- Determination: This quality of not giving up despite pains and problems,helps a courageous person to accomplish his goal
- Diligence : Every person that is courageous is diligent, that is he/she is hard working.
General Evaluation/Revision Questions
- What is courage?
- Mention five characteristics of courageous people.
- What is co-operation?
- Mention three attributes of co-operation.
Fundamental Civic Education for Basic 8 by Sola Akinyemi pages 28-30
- ______ is not an attribute of courage.
- Probity B. Endurance C. Diligence D. Determination
- The ability to face danger with boldness is called ________.
- cleverness B. boldness C. courage D. commitment
- A Prophet who went straight to warn a king of his evil is displaying _____ courage.
- moral B. spiritual C. physical D. none of the above
- A girl that got prepared to kill a snake is displaying ______ courage.
- spiritual B. moral C. physical D. girl’s
- Every country needs ______ men and women to attain greatness.
- courageous B. able C. disable D. old
- What is courage?
- List three characteristics of a courageous person.