TERM: FIRST TERM
SUBJECT: CIVIC EDUCATION
CLASS: JSS 2
The legislature, as we already know, is the arm of government that has the constitutional duty of making laws for the country.
There are two types of legislature:
- The Bi-cameral and
- The Unicameral legislature.
Meaning of Bi-Cameral Legislature
This is the type of legislature that has two legislative (i.e. law-making) houses or office. Nigeria has a bicameral legislature made up of:
- House of Senate (or upper house)
b House of Representatives (the lower house)
These two houses are called the National Assembly. The House of Senate has 109 members (i.e. 3 for each state and one for Abuja).i e. (36 x 3) + 1 = 109
The House of Representatives has 360 members. Each state is represented according to its population.
Mention the two types of legislature.
This is the type of legislature (law-making body) with only one legislative house.
In Nigeria, the states and local governments have each one legislative house. This means that every state government or local government in Nigeria has a unicameral legislature.
Note that each state’s legislature is referred to as House of Assembly and is headed by the Speaker.
What is unicameral legislature?
Outline Powers of the Legislature
- To make laws.
- To approve budget.
- To make and amend the constitution.
- To ratify (i.e. approves) appointment of public officials.
- It has powers to impeach the President if necessary. Also, at state level, it can impeach the governor if the need arises.
- Investigative functions: -i.e. the power to probe past and present public officials.
- Approval of treaties (i.e. agreements) made by the executive with other countries.
- Control of administration of government agencies.
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- Mention the two types of legislature.
- List five powers of the legislature.
- What are Rights of a Citizen?
- State four importance of citizens’ rights.
Fundamentals of Civic Education for B.8 by Sola Akinyemi pg 42-45
- _______is the legislative house of each state in Nigeria.
- Senate B. House of Assembly C. National Assembly D. All of the above
- States and local governments have ______ legislature each.
- Unicameral B. Bi-cameral C. All of the above
- The members of the senate are _______ in number.
- 1009 B. 1090 C. 109 D. 10090
- The House of Representatives members are _______ in total.
- 3600 B. 3006 C. 3060 D. 360
- Bi- cameral legislature refers to two law-making houses or bodies.
- No B. Yes C. Yes and No D.I don’t know
- Calculate how the total number of senators is arrived at
- List four functions of the legislature.
TOPIC: THE JUDICIARY
MEANING OF THE JUDICIARY
As already explained, the judiciary is the arm or organ of government which interprets laws made by the legislature.
What is the judiciary?
Functions and Powers of the Judiciary
- It interprets and explains the laws thus resolving electoral disputes and ensuring harmony in the society.
- Through the courts, it settles disputes between spouses, business partners, employees and employers etc.
- It interprets the constitution and protects it from being violated by any person or institution.
- It offers advice on constitutional preparation and amendment.
- It has powers to determine whether the executive or legislature has acted beyond its powers given by the constitution.
- Through the restraining orders (i.e. stop orders) issued by courts the judiciary prevents people from acting against the law.
Mention three functions of the judiciary.
Symbols of Office
The Judiciary symbols of authority include:
- The wig and
- The gown.
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- What is the judiciary?
- Mention the judicial symbol of office.
- What is obligation?
- Mention the three types of obligations.
Fundamental of Civic Education for B.8 by Sola Akinyemi pg 49-52
- The wig and the gown are some of the symbols of authority of _______
- the executive B. the judiciary C. the legislature D. none of the above
- ______ is concerned with law-making.
- Legislature B. Judiciary C. Executive D. all of the above
- Law interpretation is the duty of the ___________.
- President B. Vice President C. Judiciary D. Legislature
- The upper house is the _________.
- Senate B. Judiciary C. Executive D. Legislature
- The Lower House in Nigeria has _______ members.
- 109 B. 360 C. 3600 D. 1009
- List three functions of the judiciary.
- Mention the judicial symbols of office.