SUBJECT: HOME ECONOMICS
CLASS: JSS 1
TERM: 3rd TERM
- Home Economics New Concept, book by Popoola O.O.
- Home Economics for Junior Secondary School book 1- 3 by Elizabeth U. Anyakaoha.
- Essential of Home Economics, book 1 by Fatima, Ngozi and others.
TOPIC: ENTERTAINMENT IN THE HOME
Entertainment is the act of receiving people in the home and giving them food, drinks, etc. to make them happy .It is the act of being hospitable to visitors.
IMPORTANCE OF ENTERTAINMENT
- It provides for relaxation which is necessary for good health.
- Entertainment makes people happy.
- It gives people opportunity to plan, prepare, and cook good meals.
- Entertainment is a way of building good relationship among people.
- It helps people to develop skills needed in hospitality and to respect other people’s feeling.
- It is a way of showing and sharing love.
- It helps people learn how to serve others.
PREPARATION FOR ENTERTAINMENT
These are the preparations that should be ready before inviting people for a party. Such as:
- Preparation and sending out of invitation cards or letters
- Preparation of the venue.
- Collection and arrangement of equipment and materials.
- Preparation of food and drinks.
- Define entertainment.
- Explain four things the host/hostess should do before entertaining to any guest.
- Explain two importance of entertainment
Host/Hostess is the person receiving and hosting the guess while the guest is the invited person or the person entertained by another person (host).
CHARACTERISTICS/RESPONSIBILITIES OF A HOST/HOSTESS
A good host/hostess should be able to:
- Welcome his/her guest as they arrive and take them to their seats.
- Plan the menu and activities for the party.
- Send out invitation letters to guests in advance.
- Decide on the type of the party.
- Decide on the date of the party.
- Decide on the kind of food to serve and the activities for the party.
- Get everything ready before time.
- Serve food smartly and ensure that each guest has enough.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF A GUEST
- Reply to the invitation of a party.
- Dress properly to the party.
- Do not be late for the party.
- Cooperate with the host/hostess.
- Take part in all the activities planned by the host/hostess.
- Do not misbehave during the party.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- Define the following: (i) entertainment (ii) host/hostess (iii) guest
- Mention five characteristics of a host/hostess.
- List two responsibilities of a guest.
- Mention four steps in goal setting.
- Mention five skin injuries and explain two.
Home Economics New Concepts for Junior Secondary Schools by Popoola O.O. (Pgs 94-99)
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT (SECTION A)
- ___ is the act of receiving people in the home and giving them foods, drinks etc.
(a) visitors (b) entertainment (c) hostess (d) guest.
- ___ is the person receiving a guest (a) hostess (b) visitors (c) head of family (d) guest.
- ___ is the invited person (a) host (b) hostess(c) guest (d) all of the above.
- It is the responsibility of the host to (a) send invitation (b) collect invitation (c) accept invitation (d) reply the invitation.
- ___ helps an individual to plan and prepare good meals (a) host (b) friends (c) mother (d) entertainment.
- Mention five responsibilities of a guest.
- Mention five importance of entertainment.