SUBJECT: HOME ECONOMICS
CLASS: JSS 1
TERM: 3rd TERM
- Home Economics New Concept, book by Popoola O.O.
- Home Economics for Junior Secondary School book 1- 3 by Elizabeth U. Anyakaoha.
- Essential of Home Economics, book 1 by Fatima, Ngozi and others.
TOPIC: SIGNS OF PUBERTY AND HYGIENE
Good Grooming: Good grooming is the act of taking care of one’s self from hair to the toe. It involves the care of one’s parts of the bodyi.e. looking your best at all occasions.
PUBERTY: This is the short span of time that marks the beginning of sexual maturation in both boys and girls. This maturation period differs between boys and girls. Boys reach puberty earlier or at 14 years while girls between 10-15 years.
SIGNS OF PUBERTY IN BOYS
- Sex organs develop; that is production of sperm or spermatozoa by sex gland called testicles.
- Hairs grow at the pubic region, arm pit, around the jaw etc.
- Enlargement / development of muscles
- Voice breaks and becomes deeper.
SIGNS OF PUBERTY IN GIRLS
- Hairs grow at pubic region and armpit
- Enlargement of the hips. Skin may change and pimples may appear on the face.
- The breast develop
- Commencement of menstruation
Menstruation: This is the monthly flow of blood from the womb through the virginal in every woman of child bearing age. This period of monthly flow is called menstrual period. This period takes place after every 25-30 days. The number of between one menstruation to another menstruation is called menstrual circle. Both menstrual cycle and periods differs from one person to another. During menstruation, the blood that flows always produces very bad odour if one fails to keep the body clean.
Menstrual Hygiene: This is the act of keeping one’s body clean during menstruation. The following are hygiene practices during menstruation.
- Bath at least twice daily especially during menstruation
- Always change the pads after which you have had a bath of the vulva area to prevent bad odour.
- Dispose the sanitary pad adequately.
- Always use correct sanitary pads during your menstruation period.
- Mention two signs of puberty in both boys and girls.
BODY ODOUR: Body odour is the unwelcoming, irritating and unpleasant smell that comes from the body. A clean body is odourless; therefore bad odour could be as a result of improper care or not taking care of the body.
CAUSES OF BODY ODOUR
- Improper care during menstruation.
- Accumulation of dirt in the body.
- Putting on dirty clothes always.
- Irregular bathing can also cause bad odour.
- Using poor body care product.
PREVENTION OF BODY ODOUR
- Wearing clean clothes always.
- Using good body care product helps to prevent body odour.
- Always observe good hygiene during menstruation.
- Have a regular bathing especially after exercise and during menstruation.
- Enumerate two causes of body odour.
- Explain body odour.
Adolescence is the period that lies between the end of childhood and the beginning of adulthood. Adolescent period usually differ from individual to another.
ADOLESCENT: It’s a boy or a girl who is passing through adolescence period. The boy or girl is no longer a child and not yet a full adult.
COMMON CHARACTERISTICS IN BOTH ADOLESCENT BOYS AND GIRLS
- They show concern about their future
- They could start being attracted by the opposite sex
- They also try to gain independence from their parents or elders
- They also bothered about their appearance
- They also feel hungry easily and so need extra food especially in boys
- 1. Explain puberty and adolescence.
- State three characteristics each in both adolescent boys and girls.
CHARACTERISTICS OF ADOLESCENCE
The adolescent boys or girls generally:
- Feel hungry easily: this is because they are growing fast and therefore need extra food.
- They try to gain independence from their parents
- They may bother about their appearance.
- Adolescents could start being attracted to the opposite sex
- The boy or girl has an outlook of adulthood and not that of a child.
- They could show concern about their future
7 Adolescents have emotional changes, being anxious, moody or irritable.
- Some may be aggressive and no submissive
SPECIAL NEEDS AND CHALLENGES OF ADOLESCENCE
- Adjustment: They have problem adjusting to their physical changes. At this time, they are often uncomfortable, and anxious.
- Peer Pressure: They always want to go along with their peers in area of dressing and expression of sexuality.
- Physical Needs: These arise as a result of the physical changes in them. For instance new clothes
to replace out grown ones, brassiere as their breasts develops .etc.
- Independence: They often want to do things their own way. They dislike being directed by an elder.
- Status Problem: They want to behave like adults yet they are not fully adults for instance girls may try putting on make-ups, boys may try to smoke.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTION
- Explain body odour
- Explain the necessary hygiene to be observed during menstruation
- Mention the major areas in Home Economics.
- Define healthy feeding habits
- What is decision making?
Home Economics for Junior Secondary Schools by Elizabeth U, Anyakoha Book 1-3 (pgs 134-137)
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT (SECTION A)
- The monthly flow of blood through the virginal in every woman of child-bearing age is called ___ (a) menstruation (b) menstrual period (c) menstrual circle (d) maturation.
- Menstrual circle ___ (a) differ with persons (b) is not common (c) is the same for all (d) all of the above.
- The period of monthly flow is called ___ (a) blood flow (b) menstrual period (c) menstrual circle (d) menstruation.
- The short span of time that marks the beginning of sexual maturation is called (a) puberty (b) adolescence (c) adolescent (d) adulthood.
- The age of puberty in boys and girls is (a) the same (b) different (c) prolonged(d) always the same.
- What is body odour?
- Define puberty,menstruation, adolescence and menstrual cycle.