SUBJECT: HOME ECONOMICS
CLASS: JSS 1
TERM: 3rd TERM
- Home Economics New Concept, book by Popoola O.O.
- Home Economics for Junior Secondary School book 1- 3 by Elizabeth U. Anyakaoha.
- Essential of Home Economics, book 1 by Fatima, Ngozi and others.
TOPIC: SIMPLE SEWING TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
Sewing Equipment is a tool used for making garments. This equipment varies according to the work it does. It is either Large or Small equipment.
CLASSIFICATION OF SIMPLE SEWING TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT1.Tools and Equipment for Measuring
- Ruler: This is used for marking the width of hems, facing etc. It is also used in pattern drafting.
- ii. Tape Measure: This is used for taking measurements of the body and fabric. A tape measure is normally marked on both sides in inches and centimetres.
iii. Hem Marker: This is used for marking the hems of finished garments.
2.Tools and Equipment for Marking and Tracing
- Tracing Wheel: This is used with carbon paper or tracing paper in transferring markings from patterns or fabric.
- Tracing Paper: This paper comes in many colours. It is used for transferring pattern marking
iii. Tailor’s Chalk: This is a special coloured chalk used for making marks on patterns and fabrics.
- Tools and Equipment for Cutting
- Scissors: There are different types and sizes of scissors used for cutting paper, fabric and thread.
- Pinking Shears: They are used for neatening seams.
- Define sewing tools.
- List four types of sewing tools.
- Tools and Equipment for Stitching
- Dressmaker’s Pins: It is used for holding two or more pieces of cloth or paper together when sewing
ii.Pin Cushion: Pin cushion is used to hold pins and needles when sewing.
iii. Thimbles: This is a small cap-like metal or plastic worn on the finger to protect it from the needle when sewing.
- Sewing Machine: This is the major sewing equipment. It is used for stitching and is of various types.
- Needles: It is a long thin piece of polished steel used in sewing. The size and shape of the needle used depends on its purpose and the worker examples include sharps, betweens, embroidery, and machine needles.
- Sewing Thread: This is a sewing aid. It is used for stitching.
Guidelines for the Choice of Sewing Tools and Equipment
- In the choice of tools and equipment one must identify the various sewing equipment.
- Know what they are used for.
- Be able to handle them properly.
- Choose the best ones.
- Take proper care of each of them.
- Choose cutting equipment that will not rust.
- Pins and needles should have sharp points.
- Choose a tape measure that will not stretch.
- Explain five guidelines for the choice of sewing tools and equipment
- Define sewing equipment.
- Mention five reasons for the care of family house.
- Mention and explain the types of houses.
- Define household waste.
Home Economics New Concept by Popoola O.O. (pgs 100-106)
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT (SECTION A)
- ___are equipment used in making garment (a) tools (b) sewing tools (c) weaving tool (d) make up kit.
- ___ is used to hold needle when sewing (a) thread (b) pin cushion (c)thimbles (d) sewing tool.
- ___ is used in taken body measurement (a) scissor (b) pattern (c) tape measure (d) thread.
- The following are types of sewing needle except (a) betweens (b) embroidery (c) sharps (d) pins.
- ___ is used to trace out pattern on material (a) tailor’s chalk (b) tailor’s tape (c) tracing wheel (d) tape rule.
- Explain three guidelines for the choice of sewing tools and equipment.
- List four sewing equipment found in a tailor’s shop and explain their uses.