TERM: 2nd TERM
SUBJECT: BUSINESS STUDIES
CLASS: JSS 1
TOPIC: MONITORING AND CONTROL OF CHEMICALS
- Meaning of chemicals
- Chemicals suitable and not suitable for use
- Needs for monitoring and control
Meaning of Chemicals
A chemical is define as any substance which is capable of breaking down, or combining with its kind or other substances under a suitable environment, to become a new substance, having a completely different character, behavior, quality or use.
Chemicals suitable for use and those not suitable for use.
|Harmful traits particularly when ingested or by mere contact.
|Can be inhaled and ingested
|Destructive to life and the environment
NEEDS FOR MONITORING AND CONTROL
NAFDAC regulates, monitors and controls the importation, exportation, manufacture, advertisement, distribution, sale and use of foods, drugs and chemicals.
This is to
- Ensure compliance with standard specifications designated and approved by the council.
- Enable appropriate investigation into the production premises and raw materials.
- Establish relevant quality assurance system.
- Ensure that advertisements in the print and electronic media are not abused
- Monitor the utilization of controlled chemical substances
- Scrutinize the disposal records of chemicals
- Ensure non-diversion of chemicals for illicit usage
- Ensure that people less knowledgeable or completely ignorant are not allowed to work with chemicals or come near them.
- Ensure that handlers of chemicals are kitted with safety gadgets
- Ensure that chemicals are not sold in residential areas.
- Ensure that food and pharmaceuticals are not stored in the same place with pesticides and industrial chemicals
- Ensure safe handling of foods, drugs and chemicals; and
- Ensure safe distribution of foods, drugs and chemicals
1a. Define a chemical
- List four (4) suitable and four (4) not suitable for use
- State five (5) needs for monitoring and control of chemicals
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- State the qualities of chemicals suitable for use
- List four quantities of chemicals not suitable for use
- What is a chemical?
- Which body is responsible for monitoring, regulating and control of importation, exportation, manufacturing of foods, drugs and chemicals in Nigeria?
- Why should less knowledgeable people not work with or get near to chemicals?
Read Jss 1 Business Studies by Ehiametalo, Osu-Nwufo, etc (WABP) Pages 76 to 78
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT – Section A
- _________ regulates, monitors and controls the use of chemicals in Nigeria A. SON B. NBC C. FESTAC D. NAFDAC
- If a chemical is toxic, flammable, corrosive and irritant then it is ________ A. suitable for use B. Not suitable for use C. Costly D. exportable
- If a chemical is non-radioactive then it is A. harmful B. harmless C. imported D. exported
- Toxic chemicals are A. harmful to man and his environment B. suitable for increasing food production C. suitable for fish farming D. suitable for food preservation.
- One of these is not a reason for monitoring and control of chemicals, to A. ensure that handlers of chemicals are kitted with safety gadgets B. ensure that chemicals are not sold in residential areas ensure that people are evacuated from harmless chemical D. ensure non-diversion of chemicals for illicit usage
- List six (6) measures taken to ensure proper monitoring and control of chemicals
- List four (4) chemicals that are suitable for use and four that are not suitable for use.