Date:6th-10th of February 2022
Class: JSS 1
Term: 2nd Term
Subject: Agricultural Science
Topic: Importance of farm animals
Teaching Aid: A chart
Reference Book: WABP Junior secondary Agriculture for Nigerian School 1 by Anthony Youdeowei et al
Behavioural Objective: By the end of this topic, students should be able to
Mention the importance of farm animals
Step 1: Teacher revises last topic
Step 2: Teacher introduces and explains new topic
Step 3: Teacher writes note on the board
Step 4: Teacher evaluates students
Step 5: Teacher marks students' notes and give assignment
Previous knowledge: Students have been taught general characteristics of farm animals
IMPORTANCE OF FARM ANIMALS
- FOOD AND FEED: The major importance of farm animals is the provision of food protein which is essential to good health
- EMPLOYMENT: Livestock production constitutes a full time occupation for some farms. These farmers derived all their product for these animals as milk, eggs and wools
- CLOTHING: Sheep are used both for the production of meat and wool. The farmers remove the wool, using an instrument called shears (shearing) from the animals just at the beginning of the hot weather every year. The woll is sold to the textile industry where it is used in making materials such as woolen dresses, cardigans, pull over socks and hats.
- WORK: In Nigeria, large farms and animals like cattle (e.g. Red Bororo) are used for ploughing the field in the Northern parts of the country. Other animals such as the donkey and camel are used to carry heavy loads from place to place.
- MANURE: While grazing farm animals e.g. cattle drop their faeces on the field. The faeces constitutes a good source of organic manure (Farm yard manure which enriches the soil for subsequent crops.
- PLEASURE AND PROTECTION: Some animals are kept mainly for pleasure, racing or protection of their owners. Animals such as cats are kept for pets. Also animals kept in the zoo are kept for reaction and pleasure of the visitors.
Horses are kept for racing and riding during ceremonies occasions, dog is sued to protect, its owners against thieves or other invaders and it is also used for hunting small wild animals by hunters.