SUBJECT: HOME ECONOMICS
CLASS: JSS 1
TERM: 2nd TERM
- Home Economics for Junior Secondary Schoolsby Elizabeth U. Anyakoha JSS1-3.
- Home Economics New Concepts for Nigerian Junior Secondary Schools Book 1.
TOPIC: FATIGUE, EXERCISE, REST AND SLEEP
Answer all the questions below carefully
- The area of Home Economics that deals with using what the family has to get what is needed can be referred to as--------- A. Economics B. Home care C. Home managementD. Home science.
- Home Economics deals with---------- A. How people live in the family B. What people need in the family C. How to satisfy people’s D. All of the above.
- The subject that help a Home Economist to understand how electrical appliances function is ---------A. Physics B. Mathematics C. Sociology D. Economics.
- Each hair grows from a narrow tube in the skin called ----- A. Organ B. Follicle C. Scalp D. Root.
- Which of the following is wrong? A. Eyes for sight B. Nose to touch C. skin to feel D. Ears to hear.
- Which of the following is important for balance? A. The nose B. The skin C. The tongue
- The ear.
- The set of teeth located in the centre of the front jaw are called-------- A. Canines B. Molars C. Premolars D. Incisors.
- When the oil glands are too active and produce s more oil, it could lead to----- type of hair A. dry B. greasy C. soft D. short.
- Keeping the natural balance of the body aligned is A. Position B. Poster C. Posterior D. posture.
- Poor posture can cause some body’s organs to be -------- A. Put into natural balance B. Fit
- Walk well D. Thrown out of natural balance.
- The act of making the body to perform some activities is called A. Jumping B. Exercise
- Running D. Stretching.
- -------- must not be used during exercise A. Drugs B. Food C. Water D. Shoes.
- One of the following makes the bones and muscles strong A. Exercise B. Restlessness C. Routine D. Sleep.
- A physical and mental dependence on continued use of a drug is called ----- A. Medication
- Drug abuse C. Addiction D. Love for drugs.
- An overall state of well- being is called -------- A. Health B. Fatigue C. Relaxation D. Rest.
- Fatigue means ------- A. Work B. Exercise C. Tiredness D. Rest.
- ------- part of the eyes has the ability to increase or decrease the size of the pupil A. Len B. Retina C. Pupil D. Iris.
- Carrot, Green vegetables and red palm oil are sources of A. Vitamin K B. Vitamin A
- Vitamin A and C D. Vitamin D.
- ------ is a good treatment for fatigue A. Hunger B. Exercise C. Tiredness D. Food.
- The act of relaxing without sleeping is ------ A. Rest B. Health C. Fatigue D. Joy.
- Home Economics was formally known as ------- A. Animal science B. Basic science C. Domestic science D. Common science.
- In good seating posture, the head must be kept erect and chest ------- A. DownB. Bent C. Up
- Which of the following prevents dryness of hair and scalp? A. Shampoo B. Spray C. Brush D. Oil.
- A person that creates new styles of clothes is called a ------ A. Fashion designer B. Model C. Fashion advertiser D. Nutritionist.
- Long sightedness, short sightedness and night blindness is a common defect of the ----- A. Nose
- Skin C. Eyes D. Teeth.
- The following are career in Home Economics except A. Designing B. Banking C. Nutritionist D. Lecturing.
- Feeding practice is A. Eating bulky food B. Addiction to food C. Our everyday pattern of selecting and consuming nutritious foods D. Choosing a diet that is moderate in cholesterol.
- ----- is the severe loss of body weight in children caused by malnutrition A. obesity B. Marasmus C. Kwashiorkor D. Underweight.
- The study that deals with the food we eat and how the body uses it is A. Food and nutrition
- Food technology C. Food science D. Food nutrients.
- One of the following aids digestion and bowel movement A. Fats and oil B. Protein C. Roughages D. Vitamins.
1a. State two importance each of Home economics to the following provided below:-
(i). The nation (ii). The family (iii).An individual.
1b. What is Home Economics?
2a. Mention and explain three types of natural hair.
2b. Explain the following briefly: (i). long sightedness (ii). Short sightedness (iii) Night blindness.
2c. Define feeding practice.
3a. Mention and explain any three major area in Home Economics.
3b. Mention the four food groups.
3c. Mention one way of treating the following hair infections: (i) lice (ii) dandruff.
4a. Define balanced diet.
4b. Mention five importance of exercise.
4c. Explain the function of the following parts of the eyes: (i) eye brow (ii) eye lid (iii) iris (iv) pupil.
Fatigue means tiredness. It can be define as a state of being excessively tired or a state of being tired.
CAUSES OF FATIGUE
- Lack of food
- When one is sad
- Hunger or lack of food
- Dislike of the task at hand
EFFECTS OF FATIGUE
- Fatigue makes you feel very dull, weak and not willing to do anything..
- It makes you want to lie down all day.
- It causes unhappiness, irritation and unfriendliness.
- Explain the term fatigue
- State two causes of fatigue
TREATMENT OF FATIGUE
- Give yourself enough rest.
- Do not play or work too much in a day.
- Eat balance food regularly.
- Avoid anxiety as much as possible.
PREVENTION OF FATIGUE
1 Plan your work before time.
2 Maintain good posture at work.
- Avoid too much work at a time.
- Eat proper and regular meals daily.
- Use the best posture for a given task.
- Break a big task into smaller tasks and do them in bits.
- Define the word fatigue.
- Explain in two ways how fatigue can be treated.
Exercise is an act of involving our body to perform some activities. eg, walking, jumping, dancing, swimming etc. It is another way of refreshing the body and mind.
IMPORTANCE OF EXERCISE
- It increases the flow of blood to the muscles.
- It aids digestion and prevent constipation.
- It helps tomaintain sound sleep.
- It provides a good means of using our leisure time.
- It help to reduce excess weight.
- It helps the body to get rid of excess salt through sweat.
- It teaches us to persevere, be at alert and have the spirit of cooperation with others.
GUIDELINES FOR EXERCISING THE BODY
- Start with the simplest form.
- Exercise should be done in an open and airy place.
- Do not engage in exercise immediately after a meal
- Wear light and loose clothes during exercise.
- Set aside time for exercise.
- Exercise regularly.
CONSEQUENCES OF USING DRUGS IN EXERCISE AND SPORTS
- Drugs energize the user and make him to perform more than expected.
- They lead to misbehavior of the user while doing exercise.
- Some able bodied youths who could have been useful in sports might become drop outs.
- Opponents may be wounded.
- They cheat other opponents as drugs can enhance their performance in sports.
REST: Rest is the act of relaxing either by sitting or lying down. During rest, the mind and muscles are relaxed but you are still awake and aware or conscious of what is happening around you.
SLEEP:Sleep is a complete or a deeper form of rest. During sleep, you become unaware or unconscious of what is happening around you. Adequate sleep helps the muscles to grow and store energy for use later.
IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP AND REST
- They enable the body system work smoothly.
- They reduce body tension.
- They make one feel fresher and stronger when one wakes up.
- They allow one to build up energy for later use.
- They are cure for fatigue.
- It makes the worn-out tissues to be replaced.
GUIDELINES FOR SLEEP AND REST
1 Avoid tight wears during rest or sleeping.
2 Always rest or sleep in a good and ventilated area.
3 Always maintain a good posture during resting or sleeping.
4 Always go to bed early.
5 Rest after each meal.
GENERAL EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- Define the following: (a) rest (b) sleep (c) fatigue (d) exercise
- In two ways explain the importance of rest and sleep.
- What is exercise?
- State two importance of exercise
- State two consequences of using drugs during exercise.
Home economics New Concept by Popoola(pgs 50-52).
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT (SECTION A)
- -------- is the act of relaxing either by sitting or lying down (a) Exercise (b) Sleep (c) Posture
- -------- is a complete or deeper form of rest. (a) Sleep (b) Exercise (c) Rest (d) Eating
- -------- helps to reduce body tension (a)Rest (b) Exercise (c) Food. (d) Sleep
- The act of carrying oneself in the right position is called……… (a) Good posture (b) position
- --------- aids digestion and prevent constipation. (a) exercise (b)drugs (c)posture (d)rest.
- Define the following: (a) Fatigue (b) Rest (c) Sleep (d) Exercise
- Explain three ways on how good posture could be maintained.