SUBJECT: CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
CLASS: JSS 1
TERM: 2nd TERM
- Proper Approach to Cultural And Creative Art by Peter Akinyemi, Book 1, 2 and 3.
- Modern Approach to Cultural And Creative Arts by G.F. Ibrahim, Book 1, 2 and 3.
- Weave a small basket from the back of palm fronds.
- Produce a college of two media depicting a fish.
TOPIC: INTRODUCTION TO LOCAL CRAFTS
- Definition of Craft.
- Crafts and their Locations in Nigeria.
- Functions of the Crafts.
DEFINITIONS OF CRAFT
Craft is the skillful use of the hands in making functional and decorative objects from raw materials.
Craft can also be defined as the handiwork that demonstrates unique craftsmanship skills.
Craft revolves around activities that deal with theskillful making of functional and decorative products by hands and local materials. Craftsmen or artisans specialize in the making of various
craftworks and crafts to earn a living in Nigeria.
CRAFTS AND THEIR LOCATION INNIGERIA
The following crafts and where the crafts are practiced are presented in a tabular form below
- TIE AND DYE Kano ,Abeokuta,Sokoto and Oshogbo
- BATIK Abeokuta and Oshogbo
- APPLIQUE Anambra
- BEAD MAKING Bida, Ife , Ilorin and Benin
- METAL CRAFT Ife , Benin , Zaria and Anambra
- Pottery All the states in Nigeria.
- BASKETRY Zaria, Igbo land , Katsina and Kano
- CLOTH WEAVING Iseyin, Kogi and Imo
- MAT WEAVING Zaria , Kano, Katsina ,BidaIkotEkpene
- WOOD CARVING Oyo ,Ife and Benin
- STONE CARVING Ife and Esie
- CALABASH CARVING Oyo
- LEATHER WORKS Kano , Sokoto , Kwara, Kaduna and
- CANE WEAVING Delta, Igbo land
- PAPER CRAFTS All the states in Nigeria.
FUNCTIONS OF THE CRAFTS
Generally, some craftworks serve domestic purposes in our homes and also, beads in form of anklets, bracelets and neck lace compliment women’s dressing.The functions of the crafts are stated below.
- Basket is used for domestic purpose.
- Mat is used for domestic purposes such as sitting, sleeping, praying etc.
- Mortar and pestle serve as one of the cooking utensils for pounding yam.
- Tea cup is used for drinking tea and the saucer serves as a platform for mounting the tea cup.
- Some statues carved in wood and soapstone serve the purpose of idol worship while otherstatuesin wood are meant for interior decoration in homes.
- Leather bag is meant for keeping valuable items.
- Define the term ‘craft’.
- State two popular areas in Nigeria that practice metal craft.
- What is the function of the basket as a product ofbasketry?
GENERAL EVALUATION/REVISION QUESTIONS
- What is craft?
- List five types of craft and their location in Nigeria.
- State three products of the craft and their function.
- Explain three elements of art and design.
- What are elements of art and design?
Cultural and Creative Art by Peter Akinyemi, book 1 , pages 11 – 27.
Attempt the review questions on page 28.
Proper Approach to Cultural and Creative Art (New Edition) book 1 by Peter Akinyemi.
Reference page : Pages 14 to 20.
Modern Approach to Cultural and Creative Art by G.F. Ibrahim, Book 1, pages 25- 33.
- …..is the raw material or medium required in presenting three dimensional statues in stone carving (a) Wood (b) Bronze (c) Ivory (d) Soapstone
- Pottery is a craft that deals purely with the modeling of ceramic wares from ………..(a) brass (b) clay (c) a mixture of wet pulped paper and starch (d)wood
- ……is a craft that deals with the removal or chipping of unwanted parts from a solid piece of wood. (a) Pottery (b) Wood carving (c) Ivory carving (d) Batik
- A popular area in the Northern part of Nigeria where some craftsmen practice leather craft is ……..(a) Kastina (b) Kano (c) Sokoto (d) Zaria
- Wood carving involves a …….method, whilemodelling involves an ………..method.
(a)subtractive/additive (b)incising/engraving (c)etching/plastocast (d)scratching/additive
- Mention one place in Nigeria where stone carving is practiced.
- State the three chemicals used in tie and dye.