SUBJECT: CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
CLASS: JSS 1
TERM: 1st TERM
- Cultural and Creative Arts (New Edition) by Peter Akinyemi& Co-Authors. (Book 1)
- Cultural and Creative Arts (New Edition) by Peter Akinyemi& Co-Authors. (Book 2)
- Cultural and Creative Arts (New Edition) by Peter Akinyemi& Co-Authors. (Book 3)
FIRST TERM PROJECTS
- Draw and shade a pictorial composition of fruits on a white cardboard. Work must be framed.
- Cast a bowl in papiermache and paint the work.
TOPIC: MODELLING WITH PAPER
- Definition of Papier Mache.
- Materials and Tools.
- Process and Products.
- Uses of Papier Mache.
DEFINITION OF PAPIER MACHE
Papiermache is a substance made of pulped paper or paper pulp mixed with glue and other materials or media. Papiermache is the craft in which objects are formed and cast with a mould using a mixture of wet pulped paper and starchy paste or gum.
Newspaper, liquid glue or craft glue, water base starch or cassava ,bucket, colour, water, wheat paste,coloured tissue paper, black crepe paper, protective gloves,floral wire and floral tape, white and black card stock, thirty gauge wire, needle, masking tape, pencil,cotton balls, empty jars, clothespins and clothesline.
- Mortar and pestle.
- Utility knife
- Paint brush
- Manicure or sewing scissors
- Define papiermache.
- List two materials and tools required in papiermache.
PROCESS IN MAKING PAPIER MACHE
STEP 1- Get old newspaper and magazine.
STEP 2- Cut newspaper into small bits.
STEP 3- Soak the pieces of newspaper in water overnight.
STEP 4- Pound the pieces of soaked newspaper in a mortar with the aid of a pestle.
STEP 5-Squeeze out the excess water from the paper pulp .
STEP 6- Mix the pulped paper with the water base starch paste or liquid glue.
STEP 7- Mould the desired object using the paper pulp.
STEP 8- Dry the work in the sun and decorate it with colours.
PRODUCTS OF PAPIER MACHE
They include:papiermache mask, rabbit in papiermache, bowls in papiermache
USES OR FUNCTIONS OF PAPIER MACHE
- It can be used for making masks, figurines ,sculptures ,ornaments as well as party things like piñatas.(A container often made of papiermache ,clay or cloth) Piñatas are associated with Mexico.
- Products of papiermache can serve as teaching aid in the classroom.
- Finished products serve the purpose of interior decoration in our homes, offices and to keep pencils and pens.
- Outline the steps involved in papiermache.
- State one function of papiermache.
- What is the difference between relief sculpture and sculpture in the round?
- Mention one popular theatre in Lagos state.
- What is pattern?
- Mention two types of repeat pattern.
- What is farce?
Cultural and Creative Art (New Edition) by Peter Akinyemi& Co-Authors. (Book 1)
Pages 29 -30
- The word ‘papiermache‘ is a ………….….word. (a) French (b) Spanish (c) Latin (d) Swahili
- Which one of the following materials is NOT required in papiermache? (a) Clay (b) Old newspaper/magazine (c) Liquid glue (d) Starch paste
- During the casting process in papiermache, what material is applied on the outer surface of the bowl to prevent the product from sticking to the bowl when dried? (a) Grease (b) Powder (c) Powdery chalk (d) None of the above
- What is applied on the outer surface of the work in papiermache in order to adorn or decorate it? (a) Colour (b) Paint brush (c) Powder (d) Turpentine
- The paper pulp is made stronger when mixed with …………………..(a) grease (b) starch paste (c) linseed oil (d) None of the above
- Define papiermache.
- List two materials required in papiermache.